How to become a "Registered Apprentice"
Apprenticeship Program is a combination of on-the-job training and in-school training, in which a registered apprentice must complete a total of 5,600 training hours.
Typically, the program will last between 3 to 5 years, an apprentice will be on-the-job training for 10 months and 2 months in-school.
In-school has three levels: Basic, Intermediate & Advanced.
Follow these steps to start your apprenticeship training!
Must be hired by a masonry employer, as an apprentice, to gain the on-the-job training part of the program.
- No masonry employer? Please refer to the question “How do I find a masonry employer/sponsor?” in our FAQ page.
- MAESD will give a form called "Application for Apprenticeship Training" (AAT)
- This form is now available online. To fill one out, click here
- Apprentice will need to provide employer info, proof of age, proof of SIN, proof of education
- Using the AAT form, MAESD will create a document called "Training Agreement"
Signing the "Training Agreement".
- If apprentice has previous hours to put towards their training, it can be discussed during this process
- Apprentices can also select the school they would like to attend during this processs
- This document will need to be signed by the apprentice, employer and MAESD
Apprentice to pay Ontario College of Trades.
- This will activate the “Training Agreement”
- Must pay within 90 days, or will have to re-do steps 2 & 3
- Must pay annually to keep agreement active, or will have to re-do steps 2 & 3
Congratulations! Apprentice is now Registered!
- Contact our school to start the first level of in-school training
- For our Training Schedule, click here!